Monday, January 09, 2006

I Keep the Ends out for the Tie that Binds...

Sorry about the delay, I'm still trying to get back on track.
Now because of my undying love for Johnny Cash and I'm seeing this movie in a few days, here is the soundtrack to his biopic. Thanks many times to whomever sent this to me, but you can't get props if I don't get your name.
Joaquin (coolest name ever, by the way) Pheonix does a pretty decent Cash impression, though nothing like the real thing. Same with Reese Witherspoon's June. Very enjoyable.
Walk the Line Soundtrack
Track List:
1. Joaquin Pheonix - Get Rhythm
2. Joaquin Pheonix - I Walk the Line
3. Reese Witherspoon - Wildwood Flower
4. Waylon Payne - Lewis Boogie Blues
5. Joaquin Pheonix - Ring of Fire
6. Johnathan Rice - You're My Baby
7. Joaquin Pheonix - Cry Cry Cry
8. Joaquin Pheonix - Folsom Prison Blues
9. Tyler Hilton - That's Alright
10. Reese Witherspoon - Jukebox Blues
11. Joaquin Pheonix & Reese Witherspoon - It Ain't Me Babe
12. Joaquin Pheonix - Home of the Blues
13. Tyler Hilton - Milkcow Blues Boogie
14. Shooter Jennings - I'm a Long Way From Home
15. Joaquin Pheonix - Cocaine Blues
16. Joaquin Pheonix & Reese Witherspoon - Jackson

He shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die

I guess since Kristi's on a temporary leave of absense, I can take her requests. I know I'm not near a worthy substitute, but I'll do my best. I'll post Sleater-Kinney when I get a few minutes.

And in the spirit of the biopic, I post Klosterman question the second:

For whatever the reason, two unauthorized movies are made about your life. The first is an independently released documentary, primarily comprised of interviews with people who know you and bootleg footage from your actual life. Critics are describing the documentary as "brutally honest and relentlessly fair." Meanwhile, Columbia Tri-Star has produced a big-budget biopic of your life, casting major Hollywood stars as you and all your acquaintances; though the movie is based on actual events, screenwriters have taken some liberties with the facts. Critics are split on the artistic merits of this fictionalized account, but audiences love it.
Which film would you be most interested in seeing?

Keep things coming to lostonpurpose@gmail.com

6 comments:

Kristi Joy said...

I'm back! But you should still post Sleater-Kinney because to tell you the truth, I just don't want to because I can't STAND them. I'm such a bad person.

Jim said...

I'd want to see the big budget version, it's bound to be more interesting than my life actually is, so would be much better viewing.
and if the Sleater-Kinney in question is The Woods and you don't mind an RS link, I posted it a while ago - http://rapidshare.de/files/9246910/Woods.rar (pass = bringmetheheads)

Anonymous said...

hi I m French and do not understand what the following sentence from Johnny Cash mean : I KEEP THE ENDS OUT FOR THE TIE THAT BINDS

Can someone out there explain to me... THANKS

Anonymous said...

The "tie that binds" is poet speak for marriage.
"Keeping the ends out" is a pun on this phrase.
Imagine you have old fashioned shoes tied with laces. If you let the ends of those laces too long you might trip, so they are tied up. It is a funny way of saying it because it might make more sense to say you would keep the ends in.

Alternatively, "Keeping the ends out" could mean keeping the knot in full view so that everyone can see it and know that he is committed to his love.

sweetbeat (suzanne seesman) said...

i always figured that "keeping the ends out for the tie that binds" meant he is always making sure to let her know he is willing to be tied to her. Open in other words for her to tie onto him. Keeping his heart open waiting for her to accept his commitment even after long periods of reluctance on her part.

It's a little confusing though because it sounds too general since he doesn't refer to her right after he says it.

I think it would be even more confusing for a French person since this music deals with nuanced issues of lower class rural American life. Being "true" (not only sexually loyal but emotionally strong and open)is an issue for women who have learned to survive by lowering expectations. American women often expect cheating and lying.
Lower class women have historically learned to develop independence in preparation for abandonment. Because of this alternative relationship formations emerge. I think he is saying look i'm here for you (like an outstretched hand)

Unknown said...

Re 'ends out' theory

In recovery from addiction there is a saying 'play it to the end' meaning to consider the consequence of your actions.

So, Johnny remembers the consequences of his past unfaithfulness when he's tempted to cheat on his wife.