Monday, November 28, 2005

When the Night Feels my Song...

To answer Kelly/Jose's question, Canadians actually celebrate the exact same Thanksgiving you do, except ours was held on October the 10th. I have absolutely no idea why they're different.

I don't know if anyone has read the works of Chuck Klosterman, pop culture prophet and senior Spin writer, but I have just picked up his latest book, Killing Yourself to Live:85% of a True Story. I thought his manifesto Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs was absolutely brilliant, so I'm hoping that this one lives up to my high expectations.
In Cocoa Puffs, Klosterman asks his reader several questions that I find very intriguing so I thought I'd post one for you to ask yourself:
You meet your soul mate. However there is a catch: Every three years, someone will break both of your soulmate's collarbones with a Crescent wrench, and there is only one way you can stop this from happening:You must swallow a pill that will make every song you hear-for the rest of your life-sound as if it's being performed by the band Alice in Chains. When you hear Creedence Clearwater Revival on the radio it will sound (to your ears) like it's being played by Alice in Chains. If you see Radiohead live, every one of their tunes will sound is it's being covered by Alice in Chains. When you hear a commercial jingle on TV, it will sound like Alice in Chains; if you sing to yourself in the shower, your voice will sound like deceased Alice vocalist Layne Staley performing a capella (but it will only sound this way to you).
Would you swallow the pill? - Chuck Klosterman

I'd be interested to hear your answers and why, so email or comment 'em to me.

Mp3 goodness:
The Cure - Purple Haze(Jimi Hendrix Cover)
Billy Bragg & Wilco - California Stars
Hellogoodbye - Bonnie Taylor Shakedown 2K4
The spoken part in the middle of this song just cracks me up.

9 comments:

Kristi Joy said...

the fact that there is actually a mind disturbed enough to come up with a question like that, is enough to make one feel that we really are done as a society.

Art Vandelay said...

Yah, but what's your answer?

Anonymous said...

OK, the answer is yes, I would take the pill. As much as I love music and am so over Alice In Chains, I couldn't stand to see my soulmate experience such pain when I could do something to stop it. That's the short answer. And I really never even liked Alice In Chains to start with. Sure, they had a couple catchy songs. But second-wave grunge - bleah!

Kelly and José said...

Thanks for answering our question :) I never knew about the Canadian Thanksgiving -- and, I'm just happy the question didn't sound ignorant. . .

Eric said...

Thanks for the info on the new Chuck Klosterman book. I have read two of his other books and they are great. I'll have to pick that one up in the next day or two. Or put it on my Christmas list.

Hazy Dave said...

As a child, I was told the reason for October Thanksgiving in Canada is simply that the growing season is shorter Up North. I understand you celebrate Independence Day three days before we do, too. Weird, eh?

Art Vandelay said...

Yeah, except ours isn't Independence Day, it's Canada Day. Basically we all get drunk and play with fireworks, same as yours.

Hazy Dave said...

It's like a whole different country there, huh? Wild.

Anonymous said...

no way in hell would I take the pill...maybe thats why I am single...